Thursday, October 15, 2009

PC Reanimation

One of the pieces of the CNC puzzle is a computer system to function as the CNC Controller. This system does not require blazing speed or the latest and greatest components. I have decided to bring back into use a motherboard, Pentium 4 CPU and 1GB of Ram that I replaced a few years ago. I also found the 60 GB hard drives I used in the older system. The video card from this older system has less memory than required by Mach 3 so I purchased a new PCI video card with 128Mb. I also needed a case, DVD ROM drive, keyboard and mouse to have a complete system. As usual newegg.com delivered the needed items in record time. I hope that everything will work as well as it did when they were decommissioned. Hopefully the CPU will be reanimated running Linux sometime this weekend. The following costs will be added the Project Cost Sheet.
  • Keyboard and Mouse $23
  • Video Card $40
  • DVD ROM $19
  • Mid-Tower Case $50

No comments:

Post a Comment