Saturday, October 24, 2009

Controller PC Fires Up



I mentioned the new components that were purchased and the old parts that would be brought back into service to build the CNC Controller PC here. This morning I assembled everything and was relieved when the system fired up without a hitch. This first boot up was using the original boot drive that has Windows XP installed. Since I transferred the Windows license to my newer system when I built it a few years ago I am in a position where I need to either purchase another license for Windows and purchase Mach 3, or give Linux and EMC2 a go. I decided to try Linux/EMC2.


Information about the Enhance Machine Controller (EMC2) can be found here. Linux comes in different flavors, known as 'distros'. EMC2 comes bundled with the Linux distro known as Ubuntu. As a result, when you install EMC2 you also install the Ubuntu flavor of Linux. This turned out to be a painless process. It is possible to create an 'ISO image' of the OS and EMC2 application and then boot the system from a 'live' CD-ROM. Since the boot up from the CD went well I went ahead and installed everything on the hard drive. Here is the process I followed:

  • Download the EMC2 Live CD file image from here (this takes awhile since it is a large file).
  • Download CDBurnerXP, a freeware application capable of making 'ISO 9660 Image' discs.
  • Burn the ISO Image to CD.
  • Boot the controller system using the CD.
  • Launch EMC2 application.
  • Whoohoo! We are in business!

The next step will be configuring EMC2 for my controller hardware. Hopefully this will prove to be as easy as the basic installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment