Monday, October 5, 2009

CNC System Diagram


Updated 10/26/2009


This post will be a sticky post since I expect this diagram to change as I learn more about what I am doing.


CAD/CAM Workstation


I will be using an existing PC to create 2D and 3D geometry using CAD and other applications. This system will also host any CAM applications used to program tool paths and to generate the G-Code files. The resulting files will be transfered to the CNC Controller by sneaker-net or using our wireless network.




CNC Controller


I am most uncertain about this portion of the system. As best I can tell the "CNC Controller" will consist of a PC running CNC Controller software, such as Mach 3, and a hardware controller box that has a Power Supply, a break-out-board and stepper motor drivers. I have more to learn about the function of the break out board but it includes isolating the PC from the high current and voltage being sent from the drivers to the stepper motors.




The Controller PC and Controller Box are connected through a parallel interface. I am planning to dredge out a decommissioned mother board and CPU from the closet and build up a PC dedicated to this CNC Controller function. I have a spare NEC LCD monitor for this system. These will live in the garage/shop with the controller box and router.




Stepper Motors


The stepper motors are connected by cables to the controller box drivers. Depending on the router design there will be either 3 or 4 stepper motors. The Y axis can be driven by dual motors or a single motor.




Machine Tool


The stepper motors are attached to the machine tool and its lead screws. The rotation of the lead screws move the gantry and carriages which hold the router spindle along their axis.

No comments:

Post a Comment