Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Glacial Wanderer's CNC and the 'Ultimate' Source

This is a photo of 'Glacial Wanderer's' CNC Router built from CNC Router Parts components. Every living room should have one! I am not sure if he is the Glacial Wanderer because glaciers are his favorite travel destination or if he moves about somewhat aimlessly at an extremely slow pace. I do know he has built a great looking CNC Router and knows photography. Notice the pleasing composition of this image. Check out the build log and more photos here.

Although there is a lot of information in forums such as the cnczone.com it is difficult to wade through various threads to quickly get a general understanding of the whys and what fors of CNC routers. It is there, but you have to troll for it. I came across a site that is attempting to provide a source of comprehensive information about buying or building a CNC machine. It is definitely a work in progress as some pages are just placeholders for things to come. I hope those responsible will keep at the project. I plan to make a donation since I have already benefited from the information there and I want to encourage the author(s) to continue. It is called the CNC Router Source. Take a look. There is a lot of information there and hopefully more to come. I am sure I will reference this site again in future posts.

Part of this site includes a page on Key Design Decisions which I have used to help clarify what I am looking for in my first CNC Router. The the key decisions described there are:
  • Mobile bed or mobile gantry
  • Required cutting area
  • Machine size requirements
  • Tolerance requirements
  • Materials and Tools
  • Budget

In my next post I will consider these key decisions and maybe a few more. Then, armed with these parameters, I can begin to evaluate some of the available CNC Router plans and kits and choose the one that is best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment