Saturday, October 10, 2009

CRP/FLA-100-00 CNC Router

This is another image of the CNC Router built by Glacial Wanderer which I mentioned previously here. It uses the linear motion hardware from CNC Router Parts. I have also mentioned the plans for the CRP/FLA-100 CNC router are available free of charge in this post.

I refer to this as the CRP (CNC Router Parts)/FLA (Fine Line Automation)100-00 because this is the result of a collaboration between Ahren Johnson owner of CRP and Nate Lowrie proprietor of Fine Line Automation. From what I have gathered Nathan has joined in a partnership with Ahren to provide kits and component bundles for their CNC machine designs, the 100-00 being the first, that utilize the components offered by CRP, including the CRP linear motion carriages and rails. I imagine that Ahren provides the CRP specific components and Nate combines them with other hardware into convenient kits and bundles for builders like me. Since I hope to buy a kit I will just refer to this machine from now on as the FLA100-00 since Fine Line Automation is the kit supplier. You can find information about the FLA 100-00 here, including a link to download the open source plans.

The usable cutting area of the FLA100-00 is 24"x36". The frame is built from 80/20 aluminum extrusion and could be a bench top or free standing machine. It has only one drive for the gantry (three motors total), which is adequate for a 2' wide gantry. It utilizes ACME thread lead screws. This type of lead screw is much better than 'all thread' bar used by some basic machines built by hobbyists, but is not as efficient (or as expensive) as ball screws. It is a suitable choice for a mid-level machine. There is an informative build report by Matt Taylor that indicates that machine accuracy is adequate for my needs and recent improvements in the couplers provided in the kit may result in less backlash in the drive line thus improving the accuracy and repeatability reported by Matt.

The other important aspect of the design is the use of the CRP linear motion carriages and rails. The carriages utilize skate bearing along cold rolled plate rails. The cold roll process inherently produces a smooth consistent plate thickness and surface. This inherent accuracy is utilized by Ahren's carriage design. The rails could be surface ground for even greater flatness, etc. It is an cost-effective combination of readily available parts and materials combined to good advantage. I have some concern about debris on the rails causing problems, but a simple rail wiper/brush setup could mitigate this if there is a problem.

The complete ready-to-assemble kit, not including the stepper motors, is $1,300. The machine fits all of the criteria I established earlier here. Yes, I am stoked!

I agree with Matt Taylor's evaluation that this machine has found a good balance of cost and performance. Almost as important to me is having a complete ready-to-assemble kit that requires few if any specialized processes or tools that can be assembled quickly before, due to my short attention span, I loose interest in the project.

What do you think of this design?

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering if you've purchased this machine yet, as I'm thinking of getting the same one? If you have, I'd be very interested in hearing about your experiences...-Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike, Thanks for dropping in. I have ordered the kit from FLA and I am looking forward to its delivery in the next few weeks. The delivery estimate was 4 weeks. Check out the project schedule for order and planned assembly dates in the sticky post list.

    ReplyDelete