Monday, October 12, 2009

CNC Spending Spree

The past 24 hours has been significant for this project. I made the BIG purchase decisions and pulled the trigger. The Project Cost Sheet has been updated and a big chunk of the budget has been expended.

I placed an order with Fine Line Automation for the FLA100-00 Complete 2x3 Router Kit. This kit includes all of the hardware to build the CNC Router described in this post. The kit includes everything needed in the following categories:
  • Fasteners
  • Power Transfer Components
  • Linear Motion Components
  • 80/20 Aluminum Extrusion
I also placed an order (actually yesterday) with CNC Router Parts for the electronics kit for the project. This includes:
  • Stepper Motors (3)
  • Parallel Cables
  • Gecko G540
  • Power Supply (48v/7.3A)

When the electrical items are delivered the process of setting up and configuring the CNC Controller system can begin. We are on or slightly ahead of the Project Schedule so far.

My goal for the remainder of the week is to build the PC that will be used for the CNC Controller. I am also considering using EMC2 under the Linux OS. Nate at Fine Line Automation mentioned in an email that he uses EMC2 rather that Mach3. I have found some information on how to create a bootable ISO image of Linux and EMC2 on a CD. It will either work or not. It seems worth a try before spending money on an OEM XP license and purchasing Mach3. My brother Vern has volunteered to provide 'phone support' on the Linux install. I will post on progress on the PC build soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment